Some first families of Québec
Do you want to trace your roots?
The Fédération des familles-souches québécoises (FFSQ) can help you find your ancestors and, above all, found an association. It will give you the tools you need to trace your roots back to the start. The Fédération includes more than 160 family associations, located throughout Québec, among its members.
For more information about the Fédération, we invite you to visit their Web site at: www.ffsq.qc.ca.
In cooperation with the Fédération des familles-souches québécoises (FFSQ), Maison Saint-Gabriel, the house purchased by Marguerite Bourgeoys in 1668 to welcome the King’s Wards, is pleased to be able to present some of the associations of the first families of Quebec.
While reading these chronicles, you may discover that one of your ancestors is a King’s Ward or you may even decide to visit the site where the King’s Wards lived. A visit to Maison Saint-Gabriel is time well spent... An opportunity to mix the past with the present!
A meeting with history you won’t want to miss!
Click on a title to access an episode or to close the tab.
Robert Caron and his descendants
On June 4, 1634, Robert Caron arrived in New France. He disembarked from one of the four ships that belonged to the Cheffault-Rozee Company, based in Rouen. According to the Intendant, Jean Talon, he traveled with Zacharie Cloutier, carpenter, Robert Giffard, doctor, Noël Langlois, Charles L’Allemant, Jesuit, Jean Bourdon, engineer, and, of course, many others.
After completing two years with the Company, he opted not to renew his contract and decided to set down roots in the colony. From Pierre Le Gardeur de Repentigny, he obtained a concession at Longue-Pointe, near Sault Montmorency, which he started to clear immediately. The following year, on October 25, 1637, he married Marie Crevet a young 16-year-old girl from Normandy, the daughter of Pierre Crevet and Marguerite Lemercier, of Bénouville, near Caen. Seven children were born from that union: Marie, Jean-Baptiste, Robert, Catherine, Joseph, Pierre and Aymée.
Since the Iroquois constantly harassed the colonists, Robert decided to leave his land in Longue-Pointe, which he later sold to Guillaume Couillard, and moved to Côteau Sainte-Geneviève. There, he undertook to clear this new concession and a few years later he was given ownership of the property. In 1654, he once again sold his property and moved to Côte de Beaupré, approximately 1 kilometer to the east of the current Basilique Sainte-Anne, in Beaupré. Today, the descendants of Mr. Thomas Simard live in the house erected on the foundations of Robert Caron’s home, which was destroyed by fire.
Robert died prematurely in 1656, at the Hôtel-Dieu in Quebec City, at the age of 44. The causes of his death remain relatively obscure. Did he die as a result of an injury suffered in combat with the Amerindians? After Robert died, Marie Crevet moved to Château-Richer. After remaining a widow for ten years, she married Noël Langlois, the widower of Françoise Garnier, who had arrived on the same ship as Robert in 1634. He died in 1684, at the age of 80. Following that, Marie Crevet lived in Baie St-Paul where she died at the age of 85.
Robert and Marie founded one of the families with the most descendants in North America. Their descendants can be found in all of the provinces of Canada and in a large number of American states. There are more than 30,000 Carons listed in telephone books throughout North America. In Quebec, the Caron name is associated with more than 150 place names. These facts testify to the family’s sense of initiative and discovery.
The Association des Familles Caron d’Amérique was officially founded on May 26, 1984. It now has 750 members, including 425 who are members for life. The Association organizes an annual get-together, which is held at a different location each year. Its bulletin, which was named in keeping with the Associations’ motto, Tenir et servir (“Hold and Serve”), is published four times a year. It should be noted that the Association was the first family association to publish its genealogical data on the site of the Centre de généalogie francophone d’Amérique, which can be consulted at: http://www.genealogie.org/famille/caron/caron.htm
To be continued on April 22, 2003 with the Association des familles Normand.
The Normand families of North America: three branches, one association
The Normand descendants in North America come from three different branches:
From Jean Le Normand and Anne Le Laboureur
The first, oldest and most numerous branch is that founded by Jean Le Normand and Anne Le Laboureur. Jean Le Normand arrived in Quebec in 1647 and married Anne Le Laboureur in Quebec in 1656. The couple settled on the Seigneurie Notre-Dame-des-Anges. Twelve children were born out of this union, of whom three boys and four girls assured the survival of their line. The Normands from this branch are spread throughout Quebec, in the other Canadian provinces, in several New England states and in the southern US, particularly Louisiana and Texas. Germaine Normand relates the history of the first century of this branch in North America in her book,?Fonder foyer en Nouvelle-France, Les Normand du Perche?.
From Pierre Normand dit Jolicoeur
Pierre Normand dit Jolicoeur, born near Bordeaux, married Marguerite Lahaus in Montreal in 1719. Later widowed, he married Marie-Josephte Gay in Saint-Sulpice. The couple settled with their children, seven daughters and three sons, at the mission at Lac-Des-Deux-Montagnes, Oka, and became integrated into the Iroquois community. The history of this branch is yet to be written, although it is known that some of its members can be found in eastern Ontario, in the area between Rockland and Chute-à-Blondeau.
From Pierre-Jacques Poupeville dit Normand
Pierre-Jacques Poupeville dit Normand, who came from Cherbourg in Normandy, married Catherine Cauchon at Château-Richer in 1743. After being widowed, he married Geneviève Lefebvre in 1766 in the Beauce. There, the descendants of both marriages can still be found today. One of the sons, Jacques, married Charlotte Dupuis and moved with his family to the lower town of Quebec. Their two sons, Jacques and Édouard, were married there, where they were known as bridge and wharf builders. In this period - the middle of the 19th century - variations in their patronym occurred and it was standardized as Normand dit Poupeville. From Saint-Roch, the family of Édouard and Marie-Louise Martin moved to Trois-Rivières where most of the members of this branch are concentrated today
The Association des Normand d’Amérique, founded in 1994, includes representatives of the three branches. The Association organizes gatherings and publishes a newsletter, Le Normand, three times a year.
To be continued on May 6, 2003, with the Association des familles Fréchette.
The first Fréchette ancestor found in the archives is Pierre Frichet (or Lefrichet dit Bruslot). He signed up to go to New France in La Rochelle as follows: Pierre, son of Jean and Jacquette Goyon, of Mazières-sur-Béronne, Poitiers, Poitou, April 30, 1658. At that time, he was 18 years old. He married Charlotte Godin at Beaupré on November 9, 1671 and that union produced Pierre, Marie-Anne, Marthe and Angélique. There are no descendants using the Fréchette name since only Marie-Anne and Marthe had children and this was under other family names. Pierre died on December 27, 1677 at the age of 37. His widow remarried two years later.
The second branch of the family was founded by François Freschet, from whom most Fréchettes descend today. He arrived at Québec in the summer of 1677. He came from Saint-Martin de l’Ile-de-Ré, Aunis (known as Charente-Maritime today). He was the son of Étienne Freschet and Marie Bellin. Shortly after arriving, he married Anne Lereau at Sainte-Famille, Île d’Orléans, on January 18, 1680. He was a ship’s carpenter and a great explorer, leaving traces in several locations: Québec, Sainte-Famille (l’Île d’Orléans), Hudson Bay, Percé and Île Bonaventure, Matane, Plaisance in Newfoundland and, finally, Saint-Nicolas in Québec.
The third ancestor is Jacques Frichet, dit Desmoulins, son of Jacques and Louise Gaye. He was a Dumesny soldier when he arrived in 1697 and also served as a soldier in the Compagnie des Canonniers du Roi. He later became a flour merchant at the mill of the Mères de l’Hôtel-Dieu (Loretteville). He came from Saint-Hilaire du Vix in Poitou (Vendée). He married Marie-Françoise Sarrazin on January 11, 1706 in Charlesbourg. His two sons, Jacques and Étienne, have descendants in the regions of Québec and Chambly.
The Fréchettes of North America also include all those who came from France under other family names and are now members of the large Fréchette family.
First, there was Jean-Baptiste-Augustin Côté, who died on June 11, 1776, a descendant (5th generation) of Jean Côté, who arrived in Québec, in 1635. Marie-Madeleine Bergeron, his widow, daughter of Pierre and Marie-Madeleine Paulet, married again, in Saint-Antoine-de-Tilly, on January 27, 1777, with François-Xavier Fréchette, a 46-year-old bachelor, son of Jean-Baptiste and Ursule Rousseau. Marie-Madeleine Bergeron died on December 14, 1788. Marie-Madeleine’s children were raised by François-Xavier Fréchette until he died on February 11, 1815. The Côté descendants took the name?Côté dit Fréchette? and eventually only used?Fréchette?.
Next, there was Jean-Baptiste Sécheret (or Séchet), son of Jacques and Louise Poirier. He came from Gueures in Normandy, apparently as a trafficker. He married Charlotte Charon-Ducharme daughter of François and Marguerite Piet in Saint-François-du-Lac on June 27, 1734. He married a second time in 1748, with Marie LaHaise, daughter of Jean-Baptiste De La Haye and Jeanne Guilbault-LaFramboise. Apparently, as of the second generation, the name Sécheret-Frichet was replaced by Fréchette. For the most part, his descendants are found in the vicinity of Sainte-Geneviève, Berthierville, Saint-Félix-de-Valois, etc.
Finally, there was Yves Phlem also called Yvon le Breton, who originally from Morlaix in Brittany. He was the son of Guillaume and Marguerite Peroine. He practiced as a surgeon but does not appear to have had any actual training. First, he settled in Saint-Nicolas, and then moved to Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade. His descendants were known as Hivon, although some of them took the name Hivon dit Fréchette, then later Fréchette, and are found in the Portneuf region and in Ontario.
The branches are identified as those descending from Pierre, François, Jacques, the Côté dit Fréchette, the Sécheret and the Phlem. Since Pierre’s branch did not produce any male descendents, there are only five ancestors whose descendants bear the name of Fréchette or one of the variations: François and Jacques, the two cousins, Jean Côté, Jean-Baptiste Sécheret and Yves Phlem also known as Yvon le Breton.
Source: Dictionnaire généalogique des Fréchette d’Amérique, Les Descendants des Fréchette, Prix Percy-W.-Foy, Société généalogique canadienne-française, Sillery, 1997, 751 p.
To be continued on May 20, 2003, with the Association des familles Lambert.
Aubin Lambert, Ancestor
The Lamberts have more than one branch in New France. Four people of that name came here on different dates and from different places in France. The first, who arrived in about 1640, was Eustache Lambert, from Boulogne in Picardy. The second, who arrived after 1657 and before May 14, 1663, was Aubin Lambert, from Tourouvre in Perche. The third, who arrived in about 1670, was Pierre Lambert, of Fourmetôt in Normandy. The fourth, who arrived in about 1729, was Paul Lambert, from Sainte-Catherine, city of Arras in Artois. We will focus on Aubin today.
Aubin Lambert, the oldest son of Odoard Lambert and Jacqueline Feillard, was baptized on June 30, 1632 in the church in Tourouvre, Perche. He arrived in New France some time between 1657 and May 14, 1663. He was not a soldier in the Carignan regiment, which arrived in 1665. He was known by the name of Champagne. When he arrived, he lived along the Côte de Beaupré, on property No. 49 at Château-Richer, until 1666 or 1667.
In 1670, a ship sailed to New France, bringing with it a group of young women who had come to find husbands here. They were the King’s Wards. Élisabeth Aubert, daughter of Michel and Jeanne Aubert, aged 27, arrived with a personal dowry of 200 livres in addition to the dowry of 50 livres provided by Louis XIV. Where did the first dowry come from? That remains a mystery. The King’s Wards had to marry before the date on which the ship that brought them to New France returned home. Otherwise, they left with the ship. Élisabeth married Aubin Lambert on September 29, 1670, in Notre-Dame church in Québec (Act of Notary Romain Becquet dated September 4, 1670). This date was close to when the ship had to leave. It is possible that Élisabeth waited to find a candidate who would agree to settle at the Seigneurie de Des Maur so that she could remain close to her friend Jeanne Gilles, another King’s Ward.
Aubin and Élisabeth had ten children over a period of 20 years: Françoise-Marguerite, Catherine, Jean-Aubin, François, Marie-Florence, Michel, Catherine-Élisabeth, Anne, Louise and Pierre-François.
On October 4, 1690, Élisabeth died at the Hôtel-Dieu in Québec, after spending a few weeks in the hospital. At the age of 58, Aubin was a widower with nine children from the ages of 1 to 17. The oldest, Françoise-Marguerite, was no longer living with her brothers and sisters; she had left home when she married in 1685. Catherine, who was deaf and mute, found herself responsible for the entire household at the age of 17. She shared the task of bringing up the younger children with her father.
After Élisabeth died, Aubin left the Seigneurie de Des Maur and settled in Saint-Nicolas, near his oldest daughter. Before he died, Aubin left all his property to his son, Jean-Aubin, who agreed to take care of his father and his sister Catherine-Élisabeth in exchange. Aubin died at the age of 81 and was buried on April 4, 1713 in the Saint-Nicolas cemetery.
To be continued on June 3, 2003 with the Association des familles Pépin.
Our Pépin ancestors
Several individuals having Pépin as their family name came to North America. Of these people, three gave birth to the Pépin families and various derivatives: Lachance, Laforce and others.
Antoine Pépin dit Lachance (1636-1703) and Marie Teste ( -1701)
Antoine was born in Havre, in Normandy, in 1636. In January 1655, he obtained a concession for some land that was included in the Châtellenie de Coulonge (now Sillery) and some more land in the Lauzon seigniory from the former governor, Louis d’Ailleboust. On June 24, 1659, Antoine Pépin dit Lachance acquired a piece of land located in Sainte-Famille on the Île d’Orléans and he married Marie Teste in Notre-Dame Church in Quebec on November 24 that same year. The couple had 12 children. He died in 1703 and was buried in the cemetery of the Parish of Sainte-Famille on Île d’Orléans. Marie Teste passed away before him in 1701.
Although most of the descendants of Antoine and Marie Teste go by the name Lachance, some kept the family name Pépin or Pépin dit Lachance.
Guillaume Pépin (c1607-1697) and Jeanne Meschin (c1630-c1677)
Guillaume was probably born in France in about 1607. It is known that he was in Trois-Rivières in 1642 since he purchased a book at the auction of the property of Jean Nicolet. There, he married Jeanne Meschin in about 1645; the couple had 13 children.
A large landowner, Guillaume Pépin exercised a great deal of influence over the entire Trois-Rivières area, which he also had the honour to represent on the Sovereign Council of New France. He died on August 11, 1697, at the home of his son Pierre Pépin dit Laforce who lived in what is now known as Saint-Grégoire de Nicolet. His remains were returned to Trois-Rivières and buried in the local cemetery.
Although most of his descendants go by the name Pépin, they also include members of the Laforce family descended from Guillaume through his son Pierre.
Robert Pépin (c1643-c1686) and Marie Creste (1657-1722)
Robert has no known family name that could have set him apart from the others of the same name. He was born in Grisy, Normandy, in about 1643. He was in Quebec in 1668, where he worked as a master roofer.
On January 20, 1669, he acquired a piece of land in Beauport and married Marie Creste in Notre-Dame Church in Quebec on November 4, 1670. The couple had seven children. The family lived in Beauport until Robert purchased a house near the hospital in Quebec on March 20, 1679. Robert Pépin’s skills as a master roofer were sought after and he was most likely highly qualified since the Jesuits, Ursulines, Récollets and many others signed contracts with him. In most cases, the roofs were made of slate.
Robert died in his early 40s in 1686.
To be continued on June 17, 2003, with the Association des familles Parenteau.
Pierre Parenteau dit Lafontaine
Ancestor of all Parenteau family members in North America
Pierre Parenteau was the son of Jean Parenteau and Marguerite Fouestre, from the commune of Bazauges, now the department of Charente-Maritime, in France. We know that he was born in 1649 since he declared that he was 17 years old in January 1667.
Pierre Parenteau arrived in New France in the summer of 1666 at the age of 16 or 17. Between the ages of approximately 17 and 22, he earned his living clearing land. On September 12, 1673, in Quebec, he married Madeleine Tisseran, who was 23 years old and originally from Liancourt, in the French province of Picardy, north of Paris. They settled in the seigniory of St-François-du-Lac, which belonged to Jean Crevier on Île Saint-Joseph.
Starting in 1688, the Iroquois, who were at war with the First Nations peoples who had allied themselves with the French, attacked the French settlements along the St. Lawrence River. During this conflict, Pierre Parenteau died in 1690 or 1691.
The couple had ten children, five of whom grew to adults: Marguerite, Marie-Pierre, Marie-Jeanne, Charles and Pierre-Louis.
Pierre-Louis Parenteau, the youngest of the five surviving children, was granted a large piece of land in Yamaska on April 10, 1710. On July 28, 1711, he married Marguerite St-Laurent. They had 14 children, 11 of whom survived to become adults. All members of the Parenteau family in North America descend from this couple
The Association des familles Parenteau was founded 17 years ago.
To be continued on July 1, 2003, with the Association des familles Bastarache.
The Origins of the Bastarache, Bastrash and Basque Families
The Bastarache, Bastrash and Basque families living in Quebec, the Maritimes and elsewhere all descend from a common ancestor, Jean Bastarache dit Le Basque. Jean Bastarache was born in about 1658. Originally from the Pays Basque (and probably from Bayonne), he arrived at Port-Royal, in Acadia, between 1680 and 1684, since he married Huguette Vincent, daughter of Pierre Vincent and Anne Gaudet, that year. They had five children: Marie, François, Anne, Jean and Pierre. Jean and his wife Huguette lived along the south shore of the Dauphin River (now called the Annapolis River, in Nova Scotia), approximately 20 km upstream from Port-Royal -which later became Annapolis Royal - near a place called Paradise today. Jean was a farmer. He died on September 5, 1733 at Port-Royal. He is the ancestor of all the Bastarache, Bastrash and Basterash families, as well as a line of the Basque families, descended from Michel Bastarache, who settled in Tracadie, in New Brunswick, in about 1786.
At the time of the Deportation, the Acadian families were chased from their lands and dispersed throughout the world. Some of Jean’s descendants took refuge in Quebec. Others were imprisoned and then deported, but they returned, after lengthy pilgrimages, to settle in the Maritimes, specifically the regions of Bouctouche and Tracadie, in New Brunswick. Finally, some of Jean’s descendents, who married men from the Mouton and Saulnier families, followed their husbands and settled in Louisiana (in the case of the Moutons) and the St. Mary’s Bay region in Nova Scotia (in the case of the Saulniers). In this way:
- Anselme Bastarache, Jean’s grandson, who settled in Yamachiche after the Deportation of 1760, is the ancestor of the Bastarache and Bastrash families who settled that region in Quebec.
- Pierre Bastarache, Anselme’s cousin, whose sons Isidore and Joseph founded Bouctouche in 1785 with François and Charles Leblanc, is the ancestor of the Acadian Bastaraches.
- Michel Bastarache dit Basque, Pierre’s brother, who settled in Tracadie in about 1786 with his son-in-law Joseph Saulnier, is the ancestor of the Acadian Basques.
- François (Francis) Bastarache, Anselme’s great-grandson, who emigrated to Wisconsin (U.S.) in about 1860, is the ancestor of the Basterash families in the American Midwest and the Canadian West.
- Finally, several Bastaraches from Bouctouche and Basques from Tracadie settled in Massachusetts as of 1880 leaving numerous descendents.
To be continued on July 15, 2003, with the Association des familles Perron.
Daniel Perron dit Suire (1637-1678) – Living in the shadow of his father
Born out of wedlock on November 25, 1638, Daniel Suire was baptized into the Calvinist religion on December 26 that same year, at the Château de Dompierre (Dompierre-sur-Mer), near La Rochelle. He was the illegitimate son of François Perron, merchant/recruiter and chandler from La Rochelle, and Jeanne Suire, originally from Surgères (Aunis). François Perron is one of the few rare Protestant merchants from La Rochelle to do business with New France. He sent merchandise, passengers and recruits there on three ships: the Le Petit-François, Le Taureau and L’Aigle Blanc.
Daniel Suire came to New France for the first time in 1657 to learn the trade of clerk. He spent two years in New France before returning to La Rochelle in 1659 to work as a domestic for his father. When his clerk in Quebec died, François Peron had to replace him. He gave his son Daniel a general and specific power of attorney to represent him. For Daniel, who wished to follow in his father’s footsteps and dreamed of freedom and adventure, this was the chance he had been waiting for to shake off his father’s yoke. It appears that the father-son relationship was a difficult one. He boarded the frigate L’Aigle Blanc at the end of April 1662 and arrived at Quebec on June 5.
Free from his father, Daniel Suire had to face the Sovereign Council of New France on several occasions during the winter of 1663-1664. During that time, a group of young girls seeking husbands arrived in Quebec. He met Louise Gargotin, originally from the small Protestant village of Thairé in Aunis. They planned to spend their lives in New France, but there was no future for Huguenots in a society which the State wanted to be Roman Catholic. They either had to fit into that society or return to France. However, Daniel’s future was in Canada and if he wanted to marry Louise, he had to renounce Calvinism. He did just that on December 6, 1663 in Notre-Dame church in Quebec. Disappointed with Daniel’s attitude, François Perron withdrew his power of attorney.
In Quebec, on February 23, 1664, Daniel and Louise had their marriage contract drawn up by Notary Pierre Duquet. Three days later, the couple married in the Château-Richer church since there was no church at Ange-Gardien yet. Even more surprising, Daniel signed the marriage contract but not the marriage certificate. A recent convert, he did not want his signature to appear in the Catholic registers of civil status for New France. The couple settled on land at Ange-Gardien (lots 150 and 151), given to Daniel by the Sovereign Council in 1664, and later by means of a decision rendered by the Quebec Provost. This land was left to the couple’s five children.
Daniel Perron dit Suire devoted his live to searching for an ideal: recovering his identity. He appeared before the courts on numerous occasions in an effort to obtain the vacant succession left by François Perron. He obtained it following the death of his father, signing D. Pairon on the documents. Disillusioned, Daniel Perron dit Suire lived in his father’s shadow. He died on February 22, 1678 at Ange-Gardien at the age of 39 years and 3 months. Louise Gargotin married Charles-Louis Alain the following year.
The Perron dit Suire family has numerous descendents (many of whom settled in the provinces, territories and states in North America) through unions with the Tremblay, Godin, Touchet, Graton and Éthier families.
Archivist for the Perron dit Suire family
Welcome to the world of the Perron dit Suire family: http://www.guyperron.com
To be continued on July 29, 2003, with the Association des familles Bérubé.
The Bérubé Families
Damien Bérubé, originally from Roquefort in Normandy, is the sole ancestor of the Bérubé descendents. Damien left Rocquefort in June 1671, making the crossing with other Normans, and then found work as a labourer/mason for Jean-Baptiste de Boishébert at the Bouteillerie seigniory at Rivière-Ouelle.
In 1674, Damien was granted a lot from that seigniory.
On August 22, 1679, at L’Islet, Damien, who was 32 at the time, married Jeanne Savonnet, widow of Jean Soucy dit Lavigne. Jeanne was originally from Paris and was 33 at the time.
When she married Damien, Jeanne already had four children. The couple had seven other children, who bore the name Bérubé: Jeanne-Marguerite, Pierre, Ignace, Marie, Marie-Josephte, Thérèse and Mathurin.
On March 7, 1688, Damien and two of his daughters died under unknown circumstances. On March 12, 1721, Jeanne died at the age of 75. Jeanne and Damien were both laid to rest in the cemetery at Rivière-Ouelle, a small village along the lower St. Lawrence River.
Since that time, the Bérubé family has multiplied and emigrated. Family members are now found throughout Quebec, in Western Canada, in the Maritime provinces and in many states in the U.S.
On August 22, 2004, all of the descendents of Jeanne, "Soucy and Bérubé", will meet at L'Islet, to celebrate the 325th anniversary of the marriage of Jeanne and Damien.
To contact the Bérubé family association or for more information:
Association des familles Bérubé inc.
P.O. Box 6700, Succ. Sillery
To be continued on August 12, 2003, with the Association des familles Lemire.
Jean Lemire and Louise Marsolet
Jean Lemire, originally from Saint-Vivier (St-Vivien), diocese of Rouen, France, son of Mathurin Lemire and Jeanne Vannier, married Louise Marsolet, daughter of Nicolas Marsolet and Marie Le Barbier on October 20, 1653, at Quebec. He was 28 years old at the time; she was 13 and a half.
A skilful carpenter, well qualified for his trade, a talented and honest man of above average intelligence, he quickly conquered the Sovereign Council, the city of Quebec, and even the entire country.
D’Avaugour held him in high esteem. On November 9, 1661, he appointed Lemire?king’s carpenter, special overseer, scaler and inspector of wooden structures?. As such, he was responsible for supervising and managing major work for the Château Saint-Louis, the presbytery, the Council brigantine and other projects.
On November 14, 1663, the Mayor and the two municipal councilors of Quebec resigned from their positions. The city replaced them with a single trustee who was solely responsible for?preserving the rights of the community and the public interest?. No one was better qualified than Jean Lemire for this position of trust and he performed his duties so well that he was re-elected on March 28, 1667.
He provided valuable services to the young colony, particularly by protecting it against the odious monopoly of the West India Company, which became an obstacle to colonization and even a cause for demoralization through the alcohol trade. On October 30, 1668, he proposed the following motion to the Sovereign Council and had it approved:?Based on representations to the Sovereign Council by Jean Le Mire, trustee for the inhabitants of this land, it has been decided that a letter will be written to Monsignor Colbert asking that trade be free for all people living in this country. And if that is not possible, that he be asked to reconsider his decision to form the company proposed last year by Mr. Talon. That he also be asked to authorize those who will be responsible for trade in the country to give the inhabitants the supplies they require at a price more modest than past prices. He also asked the Council?to withdraw the liberty all these merchants have had until the present to trade in these drinks (alcohol) as much as they wanted.? The request was granted.
Jean Lemire died in Quebec in 1684. This upstanding citizen was blessed with numerous descendents. Of the sixteen children the couple had, nine became heads of large families: three boys and six daughters.
For more information about the Lemire families, consult the Association des familles Lemire d’Amérique Inc.:
To be continued on August 26, 2003, with the Association des familles Chalifour.
The History of the Chalifoux and Chalifour families… a history dating back more than three centuries
Paul Chalifour was born to Paul Chalifour and Marie Gaborit on December 26, 1612, at Périgny, in Aunis. Born to a family that belonged to the Reformed church, Paul was baptised four days later.
We know very little about the years he spent in France. In 1644, at the age of 32, he converted to Catholicism since the registers held by the Parish of Notre-Dame de La Rochelle records his first marriage, to Marie Jeannet, the daughter of Claude Jeannet, a merchant, and Marie-Jeanne Mallebault of La Rochelle. The bride was born in the town of Forges, in Aunis. Their marriage contract was signed on February 20, 1644 and their marriage was celebrated on April 10.
On June 5, 1645, Marie, the only child who resulted from this marriage, was baptised in La Rochelle. It is presumed that Paul Chalifour was widowed in 1647. On May 1 of that same year, he was interred in the Palais de La Rochelle prisons. The reasons for this are not known. Immediately after his release, Chalifour set out, without any children, for the French colony in North America. Although no contract has been found, on September 15, 1647, he agreed to build a house for François de Chavigny and Éléonore Grandmaison. The master carpenter never left the country. It is possible that Paul Chalifour was recruited by the Juchereau brothers with whom he signed construction contracts in 1648 and 1649.
He married a second time, with Jacquette Archambault, the daughter of Jacques Archambault and Françoise Toureault. At the time of their marriage, which resulted in fourteen children, Paul and Jacquette did not sign a marriage contract. On October 29, 1649, Paul Chalifour agreed to build the framework of a mill for Jacques Leneuf de la Potherie. He received 1,000 pounds, minus the value of two flour barrels, a barrel of lard and 50 jars of alcohol, for his work.
It is thought that Paul and Jacquette settled in lower Quebec City, next to Zacharie Maheu. In 1666, the carpenter’s family moved to the Notre-Dame-des-Anges seigniory in Charlesbourg (the Domaine des Maizeret is located there now). At that time, they had seven animals and fourteen arpents of land had been cleared on a piece of land that measured a total of three arpents by fourteen.
On December 11, 1678, Paul Chalifour, who was bedridden, dictated his final wishes. He died soon after that, but no death certificate has been found. At the time of his death, he left 10 or 12 children. In 1690, only ten survived to share a piece of property in Canardière; the other belonged to Jacquette Archambault. It is that house which was burned by Admiral Phipps’ men on Wednesday, October 18, 1690, after the battle in which he lost 150 men.
Jacquette was buried in December 1705. Paul-François and Paul ensured the survival of the Chalifour and Chalifoux names.
Sources: Nos Racines, L’histoire vivante des Québécois, Réal Bélanger, genealogist, October 5, 2000.
For more information or to subscribe to Chalijournal, contact the family association at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be continued on September 9, 2003, with the Association des familles Juneau.
The Origins of the Juneau Families
The Juneau families in Canada descend from two branches. In both cases, the first ancestor went by the surname of Jouineau, which evolved into Juneau.
The Juneaus from Saint-Augustin
Jean Jouineau arrived here at the start of the 1650s, with his son Pierre. Pierre married Madeleine Duval in 1654, but then died in 1655, killed by the Iroquois. His wife was pregnant at the time. Jean-Pierre Jouineau was born after his father’s death in 1655. Since Pierre died in debt, various family arrangements had to be negotiated and the elder Jean, who was over 70, had to work the land to support his grandson.
Jean-Pierre settled in Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures on a piece of land that remained in family hands until the 20th century. His children settled in Saint-Augustin, Quebec, Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade and Île Jésus.
The Juneau dits Latulippe
Pierre Jouineau settled first in Cap-de-la-Madeleine then later in Champlain. Unfortunately, we do not know where he came from. He married Anne Rousseau prior to 1663. They had two children: Marie-Anne and Augustin. Augustin was a soldier in the company of de Muy at the time of his marriage to Élisabeth Blanchon dit Larose in 1698. He was the first member of the family to go by the surname of Latulippe, which he passed on to his descendants.
Augustin settled in Chambly with his family. He probably took part in the construction of the fort. After his death in 1716, his widow and children settled in Sainte-Geneviève-de-Batiscan. From there, Augustin’s descendants spread throughout North America.
François settled in Repentigny and his descendants can be found essentially in the Montreal area and Wisconsin. Jean-Baptiste remained in Mauricie. Claude left for Louisiana, where many of his descendants can be found today, while Louis travelled throughout the continent before being deported with the Acadians from Île Saint-Jean in 1758. He died in a shipwreck.
Today, members of the Juneau families can be found throughout the North American continent. The Association des Juneau d’Amérique Inc. includes all Juneaus, regardless of their origins, conducts research on all the members of the Juneau families, including other branches that have settled in the United States, and organizes social gatherings.
For information: email@example.com
This concludes the chronicles on the Association des familles-souches québécoises. For more information about this association, visit www.ffsq.qc.ca.